Thursday, August 20, 2009

American Apparel Screenings


Recently, American Apparel has been facing a lot of questions concerning their practices in hiring employees. Particularly this brief post by NYMag's blog, AA has been beating down a lot of rumors about its suspected prejudices against those that are less... aesthetically appealing. Check out the article and tell me what you think.

If you do a bit of research, you'll see that AA provides a lot of information about its policies, requirements, goals, and everything else you could possibly want to know. But I mean, you can't really trust a coorperation, anyway. If you check out their official Youtube channel, ou can see interviews with their CEOs and all sorts of other things. Go figure what their actual policies are.

But back to the original article: I think it's an interesting point where they said, "The line consists of a tremendous number of colors that are more like art supplies than fashion, so when we're hiring, one of the things we look for is an ability to take our products, make them exciting, and show how cool they can look, which doesn't have much to do with just being pretty." I think there's something to be said for that- I don't go to AA looking for a potential outfit, I go looking for a particular piece I'd like, or something I think would match another item nicely. What's so wrong with that?

Tell me your thoughts. next post, I'll have lot's of fun things to display!

No comments: